Thursday, March 6, 2014

Not Your Average Fairytale







Originally when I had started this assignment, my vision had been to simply have a zombie cut in half with his intestines trailing behind him. I wanted to put him on a skateboard and have him move. During a half-way point critique, I set up the zombie on my sketchbook to display the template along with the 3D zombie himself. It was at that point that I realized I wanted to make the zombie coming out of a book. My goal in this project was to make a whole scene on a book to look like things were crawling out of it. I began in my sketchbook, problem solving and working out kinks to make a design that wasn't too geometric. I first came up with the head, because it was the most important element to me. I really wanted a spherical object. I moved on to making a torso and arm. I wanted to leave him one armed because he is a zombie, and they loose appendages all the time. I did not make legs simply because I wanted him to be in the process of rising out of the book. I jumped on Adobe Illustrator and transferred the designs, outlining them with the pen tool. I had tried to put type over the design, but it just wasn't working out for me. I then decided to print on ripped out pages of the book itself. This made everything more cohesive and organic. I had made the tomb stones and scenery behind the zombie to help put him in context. Even if someone didn't know he was a zombie, he is seen as a monster which I'm okay with. It's still the same concept to me. I went to a second critique, and there were some suggestions to make the round tombstones 3D, and to add red to it. I went home once again, and painted sheets of the paper red. I cut them into ribbons and crumbled them up, placing them all around the zombie, as intestines and guts coming out of his head/torso. I kept the color scheme basic black, white, and red. The black and white parts were left that way to look like it's still a part of the book. I chose red to communicate blood/guts. I honestly would not change anything about this project. I am fully in love with it. I'm very proud of it and it was a nice project to finish before the Spring Break.

No comments:

Post a Comment